[Development] Supported platforms for Qt 5.8

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Sat Feb 20 19:04:18 CET 2016

On sexta-feira, 19 de fevereiro de 2016 21:01:02 PST Knoll Lars wrote:
> * We drop support for VS2012. This implicitly drops support for WEC2013.
> Reason is that the compiler is still having rather large problems with it's
> C++11 support. I hope that we could serve the WEC market rather well with
> 5.6 and 5.7 for the years to come. In the end, the benefit we get with
> dropping the compiler will hopefully outweigh the cost (loosing WEC) by a
> good margin.

This buys us:

- delegating constructors
- "explicit operator" member funcvtions
- nsdmi
- initializer_list (not uniform initialisation!)
- raw strings
- template alias (using ... = ...)
- variadic templates

It would buy us, if we raised to GCC 4.8 too:
- deleted and defaulted members
  (nsdmi, delegating constructors, template aliases require GCC 4.7)

Is it worth it? The only things I'd really want are intialiser lists and
variadic templates. Note that without constexpr, initialiser lists' value is
limited.

(I'm assuming Clang minimum version 3.4, as found on FreeBSD, which is
feature-complete for C++11)