[Development] Supported platforms for Qt 5.8

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Tue Feb 23 07:01:31 CET 2016

On terça-feira, 23 de fevereiro de 2016 05:32:55 PST Turunen Tuukka wrote:
> > Is Qt 5.7 going to be the *only* release to support WEC2013?
>
> No. Both Qt 5.6 and Qt 5.7 will support WEC13.

Quoting you on your yesterday's email:

"With Qt 5.6.0 the WEC13 is still experimental"

So 5.6 doesn't count. That leaves just one release, which is way too short.

> > I want that answer to be "no". Let's support it for at least a year.
>
> Me too. I want to support it 3 years with the Qt 5.6 LTS - and after that
> offer extended support to customers needing it.
>
> But let's re-check if VS2013 is actually now supported as a compiler or not.
> Maybe we can remove VS2012 but still support WEC13 with Qt 5.8 - however
> this may require some more though that just the compiler support. It seems
> very clear that Microsoft is aggressively pushing towards Windows 10 IoT,
> so I think that would be the right thing to focus on in the future of
> embedded Windows.

While I wish that Windows 10 Core gain market share quickly compared to the
older Embedded Compact versions, it's unlikely to happen.

In fact, even VS 2012's market share is today too high to be dropped. It would
be nice to confirm whether that's the case for us by checking the download
counts for each version in the last 3 months and over the 5.6 release.