[Development] RFC: QProcess variant or separate class for launching applications "GUI-style"

René J. V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 12:56:43 CET 2016

Sorvig Morten wrote:

> But you seldom want to have two instances of (say) Mail running - you start
> it, or bring the existing one to front. So kLSLaunchNewInstance does not seems
> that useful in practice.

It'd probably depend on the application whether you want to be able to launch a
separate instance. Something like Qt Creator would be an example where you might
indeed want to be able to start a 2nd instance that has a different
project/session open.

In other words, an API for gui-style launching of applications would probably
need a flag to indicate whether or not a new instance is desired in case an
instance is already running.

> It could be long wait for the notification: closing the last application
> window does usually not cause the application process to exit. If we want to

Doesn't the same apply to other kinds of applications, or at least to the
current termination notification for GUI applications started through QProcess?

R.