[Development] RFC: QProcess variant or separate class for launching applications "GUI-style"

Sorvig Morten Morten.Sorvig at theqtcompany.com
Fri Jan 8 13:57:26 CET 2016

> On 08 Jan 2016, at 12:56, René J. V. Bertin <rjvbertin at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Sorvig Morten wrote:
>
>> But you seldom want to have two instances of (say) Mail running - you start
>> it, or bring the existing one to front. So kLSLaunchNewInstance does not seems
>> that useful in practice.
>
> It'd probably depend on the application whether you want to be able to launch a
> separate instance. Something like Qt Creator would be an example where you might
> indeed want to be able to start a 2nd instance that has a different
> project/session open.
>
> In other words, an API for gui-style launching of applications would probably
> need a flag to indicate whether or not a new instance is desired in case an
> instance is already running.

How can you know what the target application prefers? (now or in the future).

>> It could be long wait for the notification: closing the last application
>> window does usually not cause the application process to exit. If we want to
>
> Doesn't the same apply to other kinds of applications, or at least to the
> current termination notification for GUI applications started through QProcess?

It does, but I think that’s fine. QProcess works with processes on the unix
level and behaves as expected.

For a Gui-level features perhaps ‘process’ is the wrong abstraction and we want
to have API on QDesktopServices instead.

Morten