[Development] What kind of airplane we want to build?

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Wed Jan 20 18:48:49 CET 2016

On Wednesday 20 January 2016 10:48:20 Bubke Marco wrote:
> So let use an airplane as metaphor. We built a fine piston engine airplane
> on that little bit cumbersome piston engine called C++. But now we see Jet
> engines coming up but all our technology is built the old piston engine
> technology so the adaption of jet engines is not that cheap. The jet
> engines are different but we are not sure about their advantages but we are
> sure it would be a big investment to change to them. So people propose
> different designs. Some say we should minimize investments and only apapt
> slowly other proposed to build a hyper mach airplane.

Let me continue that metaphor.

We build a piston engine airplane while everyone is working on jet engines.
It's not that you can't use a jet engine on our airplanes, but if you do you
have to do some conversion wiring and fuel pumps to adapt.

However, while everyone delivers an empty airframe, with no bulkheads or
seats, our airplanes come with customiseable bulkheads, multiple options of
seats that you can install and a high quality entertainment system. No one
else delivers that.

So no, I don't think we risk becoming irrelevant against other airplane makers
anytime soon. Our competitor are those transatlantic heavyweight ships
(HTML5).

That is not to say we should stick to piston engines forever. We should
discuss improving what we have.