[Development] QWebEngine - H.264 playback, proprietary codecs.

Steve Schilz sschilz at pasco.com
Wed Jul 20 01:57:11 CEST 2016

I have been going over the MPEG-LA writings on the web, and find no convincing argument that you can
release a decoder for free.  You can distribute videos for free, but if you sell them, or distribute an encoder
or decoder you are apparently liable for fees if you sell > 100K units per year.

A quote from: http://www.mpegla.com/main/programs/AVC/Documents/avcweb.pdf
<quote>
       MPEG-LA online summary of terms:
       AVC/H.264 License Terms
       Codec Manufacture and Sale

       o Products sold to end users and OEM for PC but not part of OS  (decoder, encoder or product consisting of one decoder and one encoder = “unit”)
 	o 0 - 100,000 units/year = no royalty (available to one legal entity in an affiliated group)
	o US $0.20 per unit after first 100,000 units/year
	o Above 5 million units/year, royalty = US $0.10 per unit
	o Enterprise cap:
       $3.5M per year 2005-2006,
$4.25M per year 2007-08,
$5M per year 2009-10,
$6.5Mper year 2011-2015;
$8.125M in 2016 and
$9.75M per year in  2017 through 2020
</quote>

This amounts to $20,000 us as soon as you exceed the minimum.

Also note that AAC audio codec that is normally used with H.264 is a separate, and apparently more expensive license,
Although I have not read about that as much.
  http://www.via-corp.com/licensing/aac/licensefees.html
  http://www.via-corp.com/licensing/aac/faq.html

Steve Schilz
PASCO scientific - think science