[Development] Documenting 3rd party code Qt

Kai Koehne Kai.Koehne at qt.io
Wed Jul 20 17:27:09 CEST 2016

Actually re-reading " Example files paragraphs" from https://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/copyright-format/1.0/ :

> Files: *
> Copyright: 1975-2010 Ulla Upstream
> License: GPL-2+
>
> Files: debian/*
> Copyright: 2010 Daniela Debianizer
> License: GPL-2+
>
> Files: debian/patches/fancy-feature
> Copyright: 2010 Daniela Debianizer
> License: GPL-3+
>
> Files: */*.1
> Copyright: 2010 Manuela Manpager
> License: GPL-2+
>
> [...]
> Since the license of the manual pages is the same as the other files in the package, the last paragraph above could instead be combined with the first paragraph, listing both copyright
> statements in one Copyright field. Whether to combine paragraphs with the same license is left to the discretion of the author of the debian/copyright file.

If I got this right it says you can combine copyright lines from multiple files if the license is the same. So far we don't actually support differently licensed files in one json object (that's why e.g. https://codereview.qt-project.org/#/c/160970/11/src/3rdparty/angle/qt_attribution.json is split up in multiple objects). Hence I'm questioning whether we really need to support separating Copyright's per file.

Kai