[Development] Revisiting high-DPI configuration options

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Wed Jul 20 18:41:47 CEST 2016

On quarta-feira, 20 de julho de 2016 09:12:53 PDT Edward Welbourne wrote:
> I am baffled that anyone does the _x2, etc., approach to icons any more,
> when most icons are indeed well-suited to SVG - in most cases, a tiny
> SVG, smaller (in file-size) than any one of the many icons it makes
> redundant, can do an excellent job of presenting the clear visual that
> the icon is supposed to provide.  Making many larger files seems to
> serve no purpose - other than letting web-or-UI designers bill their
> clients for large amounts of pointless make-work.
>
> Then again, our SVG support is embarrassingly poor,

That's one reason, but there are two more equally, if not more important:

1) SVG rendering is orders of magnitude slower than PNG. Icon-heavy
applications suffer if they use it.

2) SVG icons designed for higher resolution, with a lot of details, look
complex and polluted in lower resolutions. From past experience, icon artists
prefer to render the SVG to a lower resolution and retouch them.