[Development] Revisiting high-DPI configuration options

Prav pr12og2 at programist.ru
Wed Jul 20 19:13:07 CEST 2016

Hello, Everyone.

> That's one reason, but there are two more equally, if not more important:
> 1) SVG rendering is orders of magnitude slower than PNG. Icon-heavy
> applications suffer if they use it.
Why SVG support of QIcon can not cache rendered result? So re-rendering will be as fast as for PNGs.
Or you are saying about app startup time?

Also there was idea in this thread earlier that SVG rendering can be done much faster ... like in old Opera browser.
Why Qt company cann't ask Opera to share this part of old Presto engine? They decided to not use Presto
nowdays so no loses for them.

> 2) SVG icons designed for higher resolution, with a lot of details, look
> complex and polluted in lower resolutions. From past experience, icon artists
> prefer to render the SVG to a lower resolution and retouch them.
This is a problem. But I do not see many such icons in Material-style. They are mostly simple.
So I would expect modern styled-apps will not have this problem massively.

But for people who really want raster images to be aplied ... may be it is possible to add some method
to QIcon which will store this specially rastered QPixmap in icon and will render icon with this
pixmap if icon size is small. But I am sure most apps will be happy with just SVG rendering.
This is such a detailed work ... not sure that many apps creators will decide this work as a high priority.