[Development] Documenting 3rd party code Qt

Kai Koehne Kai.Koehne at qt.io
Thu Jul 21 09:04:51 CEST 2016

I'm not sure whether anything particular is missing in the standard - my best
guess is we could create a syntactically valid SPDX file containing the same
information that we currently have in the proposed qt_attribution.json file format.

However, SPDX is a standard for "software packages" - it would probably make
more sense to add an SPDX file for QtCore or even qtbase. Using a SPDX file for
a single file in 3rdparty feels a bit like a misuse.

Also, the tools I found to process spdx files are written in Java, which I certainly
do not want to add as a build dependency. This would mean we'd write a custom
parser for the subset of SPDX we'd support.

In the end I concluded it's just easier to have a tailored format we have full
control over, but can be used as a source for generating SPDX/debian_copyright/...
files as they're needed. I'd be happy to have a discussion about this with
someone interested in this.

My proposal is to use the names and matching guidelines from
https://spdx.org/licenses/ though.

Regards

Kai