[Development] [QtMultimedia] Still is supported, active?

Jocelyn Turcotte jturcotte at woboq.com
Thu Jul 21 11:29:03 CEST 2016

> On 21 Jul 2016, at 11:01, Denis Shienkov <denis.shienkov at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> @ Thiago,
>
> >The one you linked to is P2 - Important. It's neither critical nor
> showstopper.
>
> It isn't I did the decision about assigning the P2 status. I personally would establish P0/P1 if it would make sense (but, it is just "empty work" which won't change anything).
> Since many bugs with P1 statuses still are not considered.
>
> > It's not critical, according to whoever triaged it.
>
> If the AVI video playback shows with 0.5-1 FPS then it is not critical for you? Then it is strange for me... o_O
>
> > Where's your proof?
>
> My proof - it is a BUG tracker and current QtMM status.
>
> @ Kai,
>
> > I think Denis should end this e-mail thread by apologizing, and start a new one
> in a reasonable way.
>
> I do not consider myself as the guilty person and I have nothing to apologize.

I think that the bug is important, and I can understand how hard this bug can affect the product that you're trying to ship but you can't be angry at Yoan personally. If he choses to fix your bug to justify his salary, he will have to decide what else NOT to do, which will most likely make somebody else angry. It's his decision as to what to fix, and knowing how difficult it is to maintain a cross-platform multimedia library I think that you greatly underestimate his value as the QtMM maintainer in your message.

The real issue is that QtMM is understaffed, and I can only see one outcome resulting from you making him responsible for your user's disappointment: make him less motivated to do his job to the point where nobody else wants to work on QtMM. Is this what you want?

If you want this bug fixed, or to improve the QtMM quality there are far better ways:

- Get a Qt support license from the Qt Company and raise the issue to them. They very often help raising important customer issues like this one to P1 since in the end, it's that money that pays Qt Company developers.
- Try to fix the issue yourself. You already did more than many users by bisecting the issue, thanks for that. But if this issue is really a showstopper like you say, it can't be that Yoan is the only person in the world that can and would be willing to fix it.
- Hire somebody to fix the bug. We at Woboq can help fixing nasty issues like those in a very reasonable timeframe, KDAB does so as well.

It can be frustrating relying on somebody else for your own software's quality, but open source projects have no responsibilities other than managing a flow of efforts toward a common goal. The project itself isn't responsible for fixing every issue or regression and there has to be a system of mutual benefit (usually ultimately involving money) to make things go forward. Food and coffee needs to go in the mouth of developers to produce those patches through key presses and mouse clicks, and anger doesn't help growing coffee.

Cheers,

Jocelyn Turcotte
http://woboq.com