[Development] Programs crashing left and right in the CI

Jędrzej Nowacki jedrzej.nowacki at qt.io
Mon Jul 25 14:07:04 CEST 2016

On Friday 22 of July 2016 13:25:19 Thiago Macieira wrote:
> For the past month or so, I've noted an increase in the number of crashes in
> applications that shouldn't be otherwise crashing. I first saw it with moc
> (Segmentation fault) and I thought my change was at fault. But it's been
> happening with other changes, even before my changes went in.
>
> Now I ran into a link.exe internal error:
>
> LINK : fatal error LNK1000: Internal error during LIB::Search
>
>   Version 14.00.23918.0
>
>   ExceptionCode            = C0000005
>   ExceptionFlags           = 00000000
>   ExceptionAddress         = 00007FF64939415B (00007FF649370000) "C:\Program
> Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\VC\BIN\amd64\link.exe"
>   NumberParameters         = 00000002
>   ExceptionInformation[ 0] = 0000000000000000
>   ExceptionInformation[ 1] = 000000020226BDF8
>
> Can someone check whether there are memory problems in some of the CI
> machines?

As far I know it is actually happening, some machines have been already
checked. Every thing was fine :( We blacklisted some blades that were suspected
to be broken, but as far I know there is no prove.

Ugh I haven't seen link.exe crashing, but in case of moc I have impression
that it is a software problem. I remember that first time I have seen it I was
quite surprised, but now it is quite common and it happens mostly (only) on
OSX (Clang miss-compilation?). If it would be memory then I would expect to
see compiler crashing more often and I have experienced it maybe once...

Any other idea what can go wrong or what can be checked?

Cheers,
 Jędrek