[Development] commas in ctor-init-lists

André Pönitz apoenitz at t-online.de
Thu Jun 2 21:39:01 CEST 2016

On Wed, Jun 01, 2016 at 02:57:27PM +0200, Dominik Holland wrote:
> +1 for changing they coding style

-1 for anything that's not applied uniformly within a reasonably short
time to the whole codebase.

More often than not I really don't care too much *what* the change is,
but I am getting sick of seeing more and more ways being introduced to
express the same thing within the same module, or even within the same
file.

I appreciate that it sometimes spares me from running a 'git blame',
because it's rather clear who touched the code last and what time that
was approximately, but overall I am very much in favour of a *uniform*
code base, and I'd pretty much prefer to *not* know who wrote a certain
stanza before running 'git blame'.

Since we are at the topic of "ongoing underground movements":

IMNSHO there is by now way too much of that going on, and that's not
only about coding style in a few .cpp, but also about general design
patterns used and public API.

For me, covenient and reasonably uniform API and implementation used to
be Qt's second major selling point besides platform independence. Right
now I believe that "underground movements" and the current system of
any approximately two out of a few hundred people being able to change
random bits to random values does not work into the direction of
preserving that.

>From the four possible combinations of
  { "people stick to agreed rules" , "people play around" } x
  { "lots of people can submit", "tightly controled approval" }
the "people play around"-and-"lots of people can submit" case
is the least viable one long term.

Andre'