[Development] [Announcement] QtWebKit Technology Preview 2

Konstantin Tokarev annulen at yandex.ru
Sun Jun 19 00:07:22 CEST 2016

Hi all,

We are pleased to announce QtWebKit Technology Preview 2. You can find download links below [1].

This release includes bug fixes and improvements as compared to Technology Preview 1 [2].

Restored Web APIs to improve feature parity with QtWebKit 5.7:

* Indexed Database.

This is completely new implementation, which doesn't depend on LevelDB anymore, and is more compliant to modern W3C standards.

* Media Source Extensions (only when GStreamer is used).

This is still experimental, known issue is that some YouTube video with preroll advertisment are not playing, though it works fine in other cases. To enable it, use new attribute QWebSettings::MediaSourceEnabled.

* Device motion and orientation API.
* Gamepad API (on Linux only).
* Enabled <link rel="prefetch"> support like it was done in previous releases.

Other improvements
------------------

* Support for OS X (>= 10.10) added.

You can find build instructions at [3], or use binary build.

* Integrations for qmake, cmake, and pkg-config are now installed.

You can find instructions how to use them in your projects at [4].

* Enabled print support.
* Documentation in HTML and QCH formats is now generated and installed.

Prominent bug fixes
-------------------
* Fixed missing text rendering on some sites.
* Fixed copying to clipboard from web views.
* Fixed some ABI compatibility issues.

We are constantly progressing towards restoring feature parity with QtWebKit releases based on old WebKit branch, i.e. QtWebKit 5.6 and 5.7. You can track this progress at page [5].

--------------

Your help is very much needed!

If you want to have your favorite features to be implemented faster, don't hesitate to join our team. There are a lot of different tasks, and many of them don't require knowledge of WebKit internals.

For example it would be great if you helped us to review and improve our CMake code.

Happy hacking, and stay tuned!

---------------

[1]
  Source code: