[Development] [Releasing] brown paper bag issue in Qt 5.6.1 packages

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Wed Jun 22 01:42:14 CEST 2016

On quinta-feira, 16 de junho de 2016 10:38:02 PDT Jani Heikkinen wrote:
> Unfortunately we noticed https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-53761 is
> actually a brown paper bag issue for Qt 5.6.1 release. That's why we need
> to update release packages with change
> https://codereview.qt-project.org/#/c/162677/ . We will "release" new
> packages (Qt 5.6.1-1) as soon as fix is in qt5.git & we have created and
> tested the packages from new content. It is much easier and safer to select
> that option instead of releasing Qt 5.6.2 before summer vacations.

I've just noticed this email.

QTBUG-53761 is not P0, so it did not warrant new packages.

The naming for the new tag is totally unacceptable. It should have been
v5.6.2. We own up to our errors. If 5.6.1 wasn't good enough for anyone, then
we release v5.6.2 immediately after.

And if for some reason it was too difficult to bump everything that was
scheduled for 5.6.2 to 5.6.3, then at the very least we should have used
v5.6.1.1, which is probably what everyone making Qt packages will need to use
since a dash is completely unacceptable in release versions.

I propose that we delete the bad tag, retag and rerelease with a better name.

Let's not make rash decisions again.