[Development] v5.6.1-1 tag should have been v5.6.2

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Wed Jun 22 08:31:07 CEST 2016

On quarta-feira, 22 de junho de 2016 05:29:35 PDT Simon Hausmann wrote:
> Approach 1: Roll 5.6.2 by branching 5.6 into 5.6.2. That will bring in a lot
> more changes into the release and certainly requires a broad testing
> effort. That is in contrary to the goal of getting a fix into the hands of
> the users quickly.

Agreed, not a good idea.

> Approach 2: Branch 5.6.2 off of 5.6.1, bump the version  qglobal.h etc. to
> 5.6.2 but just include the one fix in qtdeclarative. That is a better
> approach IMO, but it still means a full rebuild of all modules. It's faster
> than (1) but not as quick as (3).

That would be my option. I really think we should rebuild either way.

> Approach 3: Include the one declarative fix in 5.6.1, create a new tag and
> rebuild declarative and all the modules that depend on it. That is the
> quickest way of getting the release into the hands of the users (qtbase was
> not rebuilt nor any other module not depending in declarative). We had
> binaries ready for testing in under 24 hours. Note: When I wrote "rebuilt"
> I mean re-compile and also re-run the auto-tests. With a big module like
> qtbase you this can take a few iterations. And once qtbase changes all
> depending modules undergo the same.

Approach 4: change only the qtdeclarative version number (.qmake.conf) to
5.6.2 and rebuild that. All the rest stays at 5.6.1. We skip 5.6.2 on the
other repositories.

Drawback: this has never been tested, even though it's supposed to work.

Approach 5: change qtdeclarative version number to 5.6.1.1.

Same problem.

> So when you say that there was no "reason" I disagree. I think there were
> reasons and I was one of the people in favor of (3) that implies a -1
> suffix.

I meant the use of the dash. That has nothing to do with the approach to
rebuilding the affected packages. We could have used 5.6.1.1.