[Development] [Releasing] brown paper bag issue in Qt 5.6.1 packages

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Fri Jun 24 09:41:25 CEST 2016

On sexta-feira, 24 de junho de 2016 06:49:56 PDT Lars Knoll wrote:
> On 24/06/16 02:12, "Development on behalf of Thiago Macieira"
> <development-bounces+lars.knoll=qt.io at qt-project.org on behalf of
> thiago.macieira at intel.com> wrote:

> >> Also: update MODULE_VERSION qtdeclarative/.qmake.conf. It MUST be
> >> different
 from the original 5.6.1 version.

> >What action is going to be taken to fix this mistake?
> >
> >Suggestion:
> >
> > * delete the v5.6.1-1 tag immediately
> > * immediately retract all source and binary releases with "-1" in the
> > name
> > * modify qtdeclarative's .qmake.conf to say MODULE_VERSION = 5.6.2
> > * tag that v5.6.2, update qt5.git and tag it v5.6.2
> > * rebuild binaries
> > * release them and source
> >

> >The tag v5.6.2 will be skipped in all the other modules. We update all of
> >their MODULE_VERSION to 5.6.3.
>

> What’s the point? Create ourselves man weeks worth of work and completely
> confuse all our users for what exactly?

For two reasons:

1) because every Linux packager will call it 5.6.1.1, not 5.6.1-1. The tag is
*wrong*. Please delete the tag, regardless of whether new packages are
created, recreate it with the *right* name.

2) because the .qmake.conf file in qtdeclarative contains the same version
number for two releases. It's impossible for regular people to tell us which
version they have compiled if they have already erased the source tarballs.

> Let’s have a discussion at QtCS how to best do things in the future, but
> this is not worth it.

We already have a procedure for making a release and all we had to do was
follow it. In any case, my problem was the release number, not the procedure.
All I want is the proper number now.

At the very least, BRING BACK 5.6.1 to
http://download.qt.io/official_releases/qt/5.6/

Don't EVER delete releases. That's poor release practice and poor open source
practice. This is the same rule as "never silently replace release files".

I'm serious. Bring it back, now.