[Development] [Releasing] brown paper bag issue in Qt 5.6.1 packages

Sean Harmer sean.harmer at kdab.com
Fri Jun 24 10:23:12 CEST 2016

On Friday 24 June 2016 00:41:25 Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On sexta-feira, 24 de junho de 2016 06:49:56 PDT Lars Knoll wrote:
> > On 24/06/16 02:12, "Development on behalf of Thiago Macieira"
> > <development-bounces+lars.knoll=qt.io at qt-project.org on behalf of
> >
> > thiago.macieira at intel.com> wrote:

>  from the original 5.6.1 version.
>
> > >What action is going to be taken to fix this mistake?
> > >
> > >Suggestion:
> > > * delete the v5.6.1-1 tag immediately
> > > * immediately retract all source and binary releases with "-1" in the
> > > name
> > > * modify qtdeclarative's .qmake.conf to say MODULE_VERSION = 5.6.2
> > > * tag that v5.6.2, update qt5.git and tag it v5.6.2
> > > * rebuild binaries
> > > * release them and source
> > >
> > >The tag v5.6.2 will be skipped in all the other modules. We update all of
> > >their MODULE_VERSION to 5.6.3.
> >
> > What’s the point? Create ourselves man weeks worth of work and completely
> > confuse all our users for what exactly?
>
> For two reasons:
>
> 1) because every Linux packager will call it 5.6.1.1, not 5.6.1-1. The tag
> is *wrong*. Please delete the tag, regardless of whether new packages are
> created, recreate it with the *right* name.
>
> 2) because the .qmake.conf file in qtdeclarative contains the same version
> number for two releases. It's impossible for regular people to tell us which
> version they have compiled if they have already erased the source tarballs.
> > Let’s have a discussion at QtCS how to best do things in the future, but
> > this is not worth it.
>
> We already have a procedure for making a release and all we had to do was
> follow it. In any case, my problem was the release number, not the
> procedure. All I want is the proper number now.
>
> At the very least, BRING BACK 5.6.1 to
> http://download.qt.io/official_releases/qt/5.6/
>
> Don't EVER delete releases. That's poor release practice and poor open
> source practice. This is the same rule as "never silently replace release
> files".
>
> I'm serious. Bring it back, now.

I agree. This really should have been 5.6.2. If this impacts on somebody's
vacation then so be it. Sometimes we have to make sacrifices. It's the reality.
This is why we have a process. How is this situation compatible with TQC's ISO
9001 certification?!

Sean
--
Dr Sean Harmer | sean.harmer at kdab.com | Managing Director UK