[Development] templated QObjects [was: Re: We are planning to upgrade qdoc to use clang for parsing C++]

Olivier Goffart olivier at woboq.com
Thu Mar 3 08:24:23 CET 2016

Am Mittwoch, 2. März 2016, 13:43:39 CET schrieb Thiago Macieira:
> On quarta-feira, 2 de março de 2016 22:34:16 PST Milian Wolff wrote:

> > > Ever heard of the dynamic_cast problem on Windows? It's the same.
> >
> > Great, thanks a lot for this insightful write-up!
> >
> > So, do you -2 a templated QObject then for these reasons?
>
> I'm not against the principle. I am against the implementation details, as
> Olivier's current commit has.

This commit was a starting point. Of course there are implementation details
to address.
However, I took your -2 as a "Don't even bother working on it".

> In the course of this thread, we came up with workable solutions I wouldn't
> object to. I don't like them, I find that they are limited and will bite
> people in the back, but they don't have fatal flaws.

As soon as the limitations are known and documented, it is fine.
The current approach also has plenty of limitations. We are just removing some
limitations.

--
Olivier

Woboq - Qt services and support - https://woboq.com - https://code.woboq.org