[Development] Dropping qtserialbus from Qt 5.6 -- it doesn't compile in C++98

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Thu Mar 3 17:47:27 CET 2016

On quinta-feira, 3 de março de 2016 16:39:28 PST Blasche Alexander wrote:
> > On quinta-feira, 3 de março de 2016 08:12:25 PST Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Anything below gcc 4.7 is excluded now. I see little point in making such
> fine-grained test. IMO the result is not worth the effort. The module
> declares it requires C++11 and new modules do not necessarily have to
> comply with Qt base line requirements. That's why I see little point in
> making it anything worse than C++11 compliant. This is a conscious decision
> that accepts the exclusion of certain targets for the module. qtwebengine
> does the same thing already.

Because you also need to reject some older Clang versions. Did you add the
check for them too?

Please think of Clang on Linux and FreeBSD, plus the older XCode that we still
support on OS X. This is LTS and the last version before we require C++11, so
expect people will try to build it with older versions.

Why do we insist on testing for something that proxies the real need? We need
X and we know that Y provides X, so we test for Y. Why can't we just test for
X?

> > Note that this may still disable the module in even in Qt 5.7, since
> > things
> > like delegating constructors are not yet permitted. I'd like the module to
> > remove the tests and comply with Qt coding requirements before it leaves
> > "tech preview" state.
>
> It is going to be TP in 5.6 and 5.7. There is simply not enough time between
> the two releases to evaluate the TP proposal. 5.8 will easily full the
> requirements.

Thanks.