[Development] Qt 5.6.0 (final) packages available

Marc Mutz marc.mutz at kdab.com
Tue Mar 15 00:26:06 CET 2016

On Monday 14 March 2016 21:41:02 Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On segunda-feira, 14 de março de 2016 20:36:57 PDT Jan Kundrát wrote:
> > > That's kded/kiod, not Plasma.
> >
> > Yes; however, given that kded is used in a default configuration of
> > Plasma 5, the end result is that the Plasma panel (and krunner, and
> > possibly other components) "won't work" with the current version of Qt
> > 5.6.
>
> As far as I understand, this is a race condition. So you won't have that
> problem all the time.
>
> > > I just don't have the time to analyse the issue and verify whether the
> > > solution proposed is the correct one. And since we're talking about
> > > QtDBus here, there aren't other people to help. So either we release
> > > this now or we
> > > wait until mid-April, when I can get back to developing code.
> >
> > Understood. What about option three -- applying that patch and
> > investigating later.
>
> Not acceptable. I will only apply the patch if I understand what it does
> and what the consequences are. I can only do that in April.

I'd say it's the job of the patch *author* to describe all this in the commit
message, not the job of the reviewer to go dig out the missing information by
himself.

If the commit message argued the change convincingly, and contained everything
the author learned while developing the patch, other people would have a
chance of approving, or Thiago would be able to do it while waiting for the
next compile run.

Maybe the patch author would even learn something he didn't knew he didn't
know. At least that's how *I* feel more often than not.

Thanks,
Marc

Tel: +49-30-521325470
KDAB - The Qt Experts