[Development] Fwd: [Interest] Qt 5.6.0 (final) packages available

Knoll Lars Lars.Knoll at theqtcompany.com
Tue Mar 15 10:31:35 CET 2016

On 15/03/16 09:54, "Development on behalf of Helio Chissini de Castro" <development-bounces+lars.knoll=theqtcompany.com at qt-project.org on behalf of helio at kde.org> wrote:

>I agreed partially with Lars
>

>Is too late *now*, and we can wait for a quick 5.6.1, but is not entirely correct in say that we're not raising this issue from some time.
>For us in Fedora this issue been happening for a month, since rc releases and the bug was opened 10 days ago so the fact that is passed unattended
>or the fact that depends indirectly on one person only that understands well the code is that worries more.

It’s been marked as a P2, and that means it immediately drops out of the focus of the release team. After the RC, they are only looking at P0 and P1 bugs.

>5.6.0 is more important than regular releases, as Qt project defined as the LTS release, and this bug do Qt LTS been unusable for the largest showcase
>of Qt which is really a not good presentation.
>
>And can't take the blame away of us packagers and distros as well, that treated the bug as something magic that Qt project would discover as critical and go ahead to fix. Mea culpa too.

Agree, the word deadlock in the bug report should have caused some warning bells to ring, at the same time the reporters and packagers should raise critical reports for them to the attention of the release team as quickly as possible.

>So, let's take this as a lesson, and maybe try to make a better 5.6.1 release.

Agree. But as said, I hope that we can get a 5.6.1 out within a couple of weeks of 5.6.0. Until then, the packagers can apply the patch that fixes/works around the bug on top of 5.6.0.

Cheers,
Lars