[Development] Qt Coding Guidelines

Koehne Kai Kai.Koehne at theqtcompany.com
Thu Mar 17 15:30:03 CET 2016

The current Coding Conventions are right now a mixture of code _style_
(which http://wiki.qt.io/Qt_Coding_Style covers, too), and coding
guidelines. IMO they should be (again) split up: Basically the
first one is about whitespace, naming conventions etc, while the second
one is higher-level stuff like which C++ features to use.

In addition, I was thinking about whether it makes sense to split up stuff
of general interest ("Use Q_DECLARE_TYPEINFO") from advice pretty
specific to the Qt libraries itself (BC advice, namespace awareness ...).
Anyhow, the line is probably somewhat blurry there, so I wouldn't go
for this from the beginning.

Completely orthogonal to this is though in which format the documents
are. You're specifically mentioning .qdoc, but I assume it wouldn't really
matter if it's Markdown (from the 'reusability' perspective)?

Regards

Kai