[Development] What qtbase looks like with extensive use of auto

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Sat Mar 19 19:02:08 CET 2016

Hi,

In case you missed it, I wrote an auto-modernizer

 https://steveire.wordpress.com/2016/03/19/aaargh

It is not quite AAA, as it doesn't convert

 QString s;

into

 auto s = QString();

I used it to port qtbase to an extensive use of auto:

 https://github.com/steveire/qtbase/commits/aaa

This isn't something I want to push for Qt to apply, but it's something I
did and you might find the outcome interesting.

If you think Qt should use auto not-at-all, not-a-lot, or almost-always, I'm
sure you'll find lots of reasons in the commits to support your position.

Thanks,

Steve.