[Development] QtCon Call for Papers extended

Olivier Goffart olivier at woboq.com
Wed May 18 13:45:05 CEST 2016

Hi,
The deadline for the QtCon call for paper was extended to the 22nd of May.

https://qtcon.org/cfp

-----------
This is a Call for Papers to a unique event. KDE Akademy, Qt Contributors'
Summit, FSFE Summit, KDAB and VideoLAN Dev Days have come together to create
QtCon 2016, Sept 1 - 4, 2016, to be held in Berlin, Germany.

On Sept 1 there will be a day of Training from KDAB. The conference runs from
Sept 2 - 4. There will be talks, workshops, Birds of a Feather sessions (BoFs)
and meetings, contributed to by everyone, as well as the traditional social
events. KDE Akademy will then continue with BoFs from Monday 5th to Thursday
8th elsewhere in Berlin.

The conference will be at the bcc, in Berlin, which has the flexibility to run
a diverse program of events so participants can attend presentations and
meetings with a great variety of focus and interest. If you are a Qt user,
you'll get the top quality talks you'd expect from a Qt conference, as well as
presentations and meetings across each of the participating communities. If
you normally attend the VideoLAN annual event, you will have access to
everything you usually expect from that, as well as the opportunity to learn
what’s new from Qt contributors, KDE and FSFE, and so on.

Attendees who are not members of any of these communities are also welcome to
join this unique, one-off event and take their pick from the unusually wide
range of material.

What we are looking for
This brings a difference to the Call for Papers you might be familiar with.
The reason is that we want presentations, workshop and BoFs that cater for one
or more of the whole communities of KDE, Qt, VideoLAN, FSFE and the wider Free
software community. The program aims to present a unified event.

We are asking for talk proposals on topics relevant to this including:

- Collaboration between KDE, the Qt Project and other projects that use KDE or
Qt
- Design and Usability
- Free software in action: use cases of technology in real life; be it mobile,
desktop deployments and so on.
- Going multi-platform all the way: from design to distribution
- Improving our soft skills and processes
- Increasing our reach through efforts such as accessibility, promotion,
translation and localization
- Insights about C++ and QML
- Learning what is new and exciting in Qt
- Open Standards
- Overview of what is going on in the various areas of each of the communities
- Presentation of new applications; new features and functions in existing
applications
- Quality and testing of applications
- Using KDE Frameworks 5 for Qt developers
- Writing custom Qt Quick components using OpenGL

Don't let this list restrict your ideas though. You can submit a proposal even
if it doesn't fit the list of topics as long as it is relevant

Proposal guidelines
Provide the following information on the proposal form:

- Title—the title of your session/presentation
- Abstract—a brief summary of your presentation
Description—information about your topic and its potential benefits for the
audience
- A short bio—including anything that qualifies you to speak on your subject
- Tags—add appropriate tags to your proposal to help the committee sort
through the categories of proposals

We encourage you to rehearse your presentation well. If you don't have someone
to test your talk on or would like help practising your presentation, you can
ask the Program Committee

Proposals must be submitted by May 22nd, 23:59:59 CEST.

QtCon will attract people from all over the world. For this reason, all talks
are in English. Please don't let this requirement stop you. Your ideas and
commitment are what your audience will want to know about.

- Lightning talks are 10 minutes long
- Other talks are 30 or 60 minutes
- Workshops, BoFs and meetings can be between 1 and 2 hours (Proposals for KDE
after the weekend will be collected separately)
Workshops and talks include time for Q&A. Lightning talks do not have Q&A.

QtCon has a tight schedule, so beginning and ending times are enforced.

If your presentation must be longer than the standard time, please provide
reasons why this is so. For lightning talks, we will be collecting all of the
presentations the day before the lightning track. All of the presentations
will be set-up and ready to go at the start of the lightning track.

QtCon is upbeat, but it is not frivolous. Help us see that you care about your
topic, your presentation and your audience. Typos, sloppy or all-lowercase
formatting and similar appearance oversights leave a bad impression and may
count against your proposal. There's no need to overdo it. If it takes more
than two paragraphs to get to the point of your topic, it's too much and
should be slimmed down. The quicker you can make a good impression, the
better.

We are looking for originality. Having the same people talking about the same
things doesn't accomplish that goal. Thus, we favor original and novel
content. If you have presented on a topic elsewhere, please add a new twist,
new research, or recent development, something unique. Of course, if your talk
is plain awesome as is, go for that.

Everyone submitting a proposal will be notified mid June, as to whether or not
their proposal was accepted for the QtCon Program.

Talks will be recorded and published on the Internet for free, along with a
copy of the slide deck, live demo or anything else associated with the
presentations. This benefits the larger Community and those who can't make it
to QtCon. You will retain full ownership of your slides and other materials,
we request that you make your materials available explicitly under the CC-BY
license.

If you have any questions please contact the Program Committee
qtcon-talks at qtcon.org

If you are interested, you can access our talk submission system by clicking
here. https://conf.qtcon.org/en/qtcon/cfp/person