[Development] The missing pieces of QJSEngine

Corentin corentin.jabot at gmail.com
Sat May 28 11:42:15 CEST 2016

Hello.
I'm once again trying to cut dependencies on Qt Script.

QJSEngine still lacks some features to do so.

   - The ability to call a function from JS to C++. I found a work in that
   direction. https://codereview.qt-project.org/#/c/108871/2 . I am told
   the api was probably abandoned over threading consideration.
   - The ability to construct a QObject from JS. QtScript had
   newQMetaObject for that.

I have see a lot of people requesting the ability to call a c++ function
from JS. One classic usage I have in mind is the implementation of the PAC
standard[1]

As for creating QObject from JS, there are tons of use cases. It is my
understanding that QBS
depends on this feature a lot.

I don't think that QJSEngine can really pretend to be a replacement for
QScriptEngine without those features

So, I have a few questions

   - Is anyone working on these features ?
   - If not, is there an interest for these api ?

[1]
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Projects/Necko/Proxy_Auto-Configuration_(PAC)_file

Regards,
Corentin