[Development] Distributing 3rd party closed source libs

Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer perezmeyer at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 15:31:39 CET 2016

On lunes, 31 de octubre de 2016 9:22:34 A. M. ART Lars Knoll wrote:
[snip]
> We’re facing the same problem in a couple of places in Qt. For
> postgres/mysql we provide a precompiles plugin, but don’t ship the client
> libs which has proven to be problematic, as users wonder why it doesn’t
> work, or because of BC issues on Windows.

> Other SQL plugins such as Oracle or DB2 are only reachable through compiling
> the source code. Unfortunately we don’t make that easy currently, as these
> plugins are shipped as part of qtbase, not as a standalone package.

> It might make sense to rethink this, and provide those plugins as standalone
> source packages, that can be easily compiled within creator by our users.
> That would of probably also require that they live in a repository separate
> from qtbase (for SQL) or qt3d (in your case).

I don't know for sure if this is similar to the eglfs backends situation, that
require proprietary stuff to be present in order to let Qt support them (if
this is really the case, feel free to correct me). But if it is the chance to
have a separate source to be able to compile the required plugin would be just
great, specially for distros.

Again, feel free to correct me here, I'll really appreciate it :)

--
 1: Una computadora sirve:
    * Para tratar de dominar el mundo, un caso conocido de esto fue el de

Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer
http://perezmeyer.com.ar/
http://perezmeyer.blogspot.com/