[Development] Distributing 3rd party closed source libs

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sat Nov 5 03:34:50 CET 2016

Sean Harmer wrote:
> Yeah, trouble with that approach is we are always chasing feature
> support and we'd rather focus efforts elsewhere.

And just running Blender's Python FBX converter
(https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Extensions:2.6/Py/Scripts/Import-Export/Autodesk_FBX)
as is and then working with the Blender format is not an option?

As a Fedora packager, I can say that the proprietary FBX SDK will never be
in Fedora, so either you use the Blender code or Qt 3D will not be built
with FBX support in Fedora, no matter how you ship it. (And if you ship part
of the SDK in the Qt 3D source tarball, we will really hate you because it
would force us to respin your tarball with the proprietary code/binaries
removed. So please don't do that, ever.)

        Kevin Kofler