[Development] QtQuickControls for desktop: what's the plan?

Frederik Gladhorn frederik.gladhorn at qt.io
Thu Nov 10 09:55:00 CET 2016

Hello all,
let's take a step back and get back into a productive discussion :)

I'm sorry that Jake uses so harsh words and I hope everyone understands he
expresses his personal opinion since he's not even directly involved in the Qt
Quick Controls (1/2) project.

Yesterday we had some debate here in Oslo about what is needed for controls in
the near future and where we see things heading. I should have joined the
discussion earlier, but I perfer to ponder things a bit before shouting out
loud.

>From our point of view, one of the biggest show stoppers in the near future is
the lack of table view support (which touches listview and related). This is a
topic that keeps comming up and we want to get it right, since in qcc1 you
could hardly have more than 10 columns without massive performance issues.
So the current focus for us is polishing what we have and looking at the lists
and tables.

At the same time there seem to be three big gaps in styling.
We have researched an iOS style, there are some legal concerns around it since
it's unclear what Apple allows in the app store, so that's somewhat on hold,
maybe we'll just publish it without any guarantees (that it's viable to get
apps on the store with it) since we cannot give any. In the mean time, using
custom styles should be perfectly fine for the iOS case. Slightly ironic.

With that said, macOS is another candidate where we're starting to look.
Again, Apple is not making it exactly easy by basically not providing public
APIs, but we'll see what we end up with. Especially animations will be
interesting. Any insights and help is of course appreciated.

The last gap are Linux styles. The situation with KDE is actually quite
interesting, since the platform is QStyle based. We do not believe in QStyle
based styles for QQC2 as it stands. They will never have the same performance
level of the other styles. Changing QStyle is not exactly trivial either, but
maybe we can find a way to make it efficent and share code. Maybe we in the end
conclude that it's all too much work and we want to have a QStyle based theme
in controls 2, but let's first explore the options. I don't know the code
enough to have any kind of opinion at this point and I'd propose people that
actually have better insights explore which way makes most sense.

Now we're back to where we started the discussion and I hope we'll find out how
to cooperate best, inside or outside the controls repository.

Kind regards,
Frederik