[Development] QtQuickControls for desktop: what's the plan?

Olivier Goffart olivier at woboq.com
Thu Nov 10 11:11:35 CET 2016

On Donnerstag, 10. November 2016 09:55:00 CET Frederik Gladhorn wrote:
> Hello all,
> let's take a step back and get back into a productive discussion :)
>
> I'm sorry that Jake uses so harsh words and I hope everyone understands he
> expresses his personal opinion since he's not even directly involved in the
> Qt Quick Controls (1/2) project.

Thanks for the apology.
(It's a bit rude to demand that someone contribute for free to someone else's
commercial product.)

> Yesterday we had some debate here in Oslo about what is needed for controls
> in the near future and where we see things heading. [...]
> We have researched an iOS style [...] macOS is another candidate where we're
> starting to look.

Great to hear that you are looking at the desktop again.

Also... don't forget Windows and GTK+ styles.

> The situation with KDE is actually quite interesting, since the platform is
> QStyle based.

It does not have to be. I believe there will be an QQC2 Oxygen style soon
enough.

> We do not believe in QStyle based styles for QQC2 as it stands. They will
> never have the same performance level of the other styles. รพ...]

Regarding performance maybe it's good enough for desktop. But there are other
reasons why QStyle might not be desirable: dependency on QtWidget and alien
abstraction.

> Maybe we in the end conclude that it's all too much work and we want to have
> a QStyle based theme in controls 2, but let's first explore the options.

Writing and polishing styles to pixel perfection is indeed lot of work. And
QStyle has the advantage hat it already exists. However one can copy-paste the
code to turn existing styles into QCC2 style. (You will have two style to
maintain since QtWidgets is still maintained)

The proxy style to QStyle that Marco is developing is a good intermediate
solution for people wanting to develop cross platform desktop applications,
while waiting for proper native looking themes on each platform.

--
Olivier

Woboq - Qt services and support - https://woboq.com - https://code.woboq.org