[Development] Basing Qt Creator Coding Style on C++ Core Guidelines?

Marc Mutz marc.mutz at kdab.com
Sat Nov 19 08:04:19 CET 2016

On Friday 18 November 2016 22:12:44 Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Em sexta-feira, 18 de novembro de 2016, às 20:37:26 PST, Marc Mutz escreveu:
> > There's no reason for Qt to extend its BC guarantees to other libraries.
> > STL, GSL, Boost, std::exception, you name it. They are outside of Qt's
> > realm and therefore do not fall under the Qt BC rules.
>
> Which is the reason we can't accept them in our ABI. The rules are
> incompatible.

If you extend this argument to its logical conclusion, Qt should be BC between
debug and releases on MSVC. Many libraries manage. Gpgme, e.g. Why doesn't Qt?

You see, that argument is completely empty. The STL is forbidden because
people are uncomfortable with it, not because it causes BiC. The debug/release
stuff on MSVC is allowed to be BiC because people have come to accept it as
reality. Neither one is any more right or wrong inherently, than the other.

Thanks,
Marc

Tel: +49-30-521325470
KDAB - The Qt, C++ and OpenGL Experts