[Development] Basing Qt Creator Coding Style on C++ Core Guidelines?

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Tue Nov 22 00:42:12 CET 2016

On segunda-feira, 21 de novembro de 2016 19:36:43 PST Lisandro Damián Nicanor
Pérez Meyer wrote:
> > So how often do you had a BC break in stdlibc++?
>
> Last time was with gcc5.

In other words, once in 11 years.

> And quite messy in some concerns too because they did not increase the
> SONAME
> as they should, so the only thing we had is to track which apps/libs got
> rebuilt. Normally we can track this with a proper SONAME change.

Because GCC developers, like the proponents of inline namespaces, forget that
libraries use their libraries and thus expose their ABI differences in their
ABI. GCC devs invented the "abi_tag" attribute so they could mark methods
according to a deveoper-defined tag, and propagate that tag. They provide both
sets of ABIs in libstdc++.

But unless developers of downstream libraries take the precautions to provide
them both in their own libraries, this causes a BC breakage. THAT was the
issue.