[Development] Basing Qt Creator Coding Style on C++ Core Guidelines?

Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer perezmeyer at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 01:23:54 CET 2016

On lunes, 21 de noviembre de 2016 15:42:12 ART Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On segunda-feira, 21 de novembro de 2016 19:36:43 PST Lisandro Damián
> Nicanor
> Pérez Meyer wrote:
> > > So how often do you had a BC break in stdlibc++?
> >
> > Last time was with gcc5.
>
> In other words, once in 11 years.
>
> > And quite messy in some concerns too because they did not increase the
> > SONAME
> > as they should, so the only thing we had is to track which apps/libs got
> > rebuilt. Normally we can track this with a proper SONAME change.
>
> Because GCC developers, like the proponents of inline namespaces, forget
> that libraries use their libraries and thus expose their ABI differences in
> their ABI. GCC devs invented the "abi_tag" attribute so they could mark
> methods according to a deveoper-defined tag, and propagate that tag. They
> provide both sets of ABIs in libstdc++.
>
> But unless developers of downstream libraries take the precautions to
> provide them both in their own libraries, this causes a BC breakage. THAT
> was the issue.

Point taken. If the 3rd party exposed API does not changes that much and the
necessary guards are in place then it should not hurt that frequently.

Now I have a question: how will the Qt community take that a distro changes
the SONAME of a lib from, let's say, 5 to 5abi1 when that kind of changes
happen?

--
Only wimps use tape backup: real men just upload their important stuff on
ftp, and let the rest of the world mirror it ;)

Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer
http://perezmeyer.com.ar/
http://perezmeyer.blogspot.com/