[Development] Basing Qt Creator Coding Style on C++ Core Guidelines?

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Tue Nov 22 02:20:09 CET 2016

On segunda-feira, 21 de novembro de 2016 21:23:54 PST Lisandro Damián Nicanor
Pérez Meyer wrote:
> Now I have a question: how will the Qt community take that a distro changes
> the SONAME of a lib from, let's say, 5 to 5abi1 when that kind of changes
> happen?

We prefer to work with downstreams and have those changes in Qt itself. Not
because we don't trust Debian, Fedora and OpenSUSE maintainers to do the right
thing, but precisely because it's multiple teams. Why should each team
redevelop the solution?

And don't forget tiny distros and self-built distros (Yocto comes to mind!)
whose teams are not aware of those changes.

Note that we can do ABI versioning if we wanted to:

	libQt5Core.so.5
         ❘        ⌞→ ABI (binary) version
         ⌞→ API (source) version

The ELF symbol version would need to be adapted too. Right now, it marks
everything as "Qt_5".