[Development] Basing Qt Creator Coding Style on C++ Core Guidelines?

Marco Bubke Marco.Bubke at qt.io
Tue Nov 22 12:25:45 CET 2016

On November 22, 2016 08:17:57 Thiago Macieira <thiago.macieira at intel.com> wrote:

> On terça-feira, 22 de novembro de 2016 06:13:44 PST Marco Bubke wrote:
>> So you say it it does not work because of themeing support? Isn't Qt
>> Controls 2 not anymore providing them too. And is there no technical
>> solutions for that? Like propagating the values to the Flatpack themeing
>> engine. This could be improve the interoperability between different
>> desktop libraries too. The implementation which is based on GTK or Qt is
>> suboptimal anyway. It shows visually why Linux Desktop was never widely
>> adopted. I mean the lack of cooperation and the hesitancy to try to
>> understand the context of the other. I use Linux all the day, but honestly
>> many things are broken, especially where Unix wasn't copied.
>
> So you're saying we need to develop another GUI toolkit for Linux desktops so
> that we can share some common things between the existing toolkits?
>
> This comes to mind: https://xkcd.com/927/
>
> Theming and styling is a complex operation. It's not just "propagating
> values". Reading config files will at best get you the right font, correct icon
> set, and somewhat correct colours. But gradients, shapes, complex dialogs will
> not work.

I don't see the problem to describe it in text, like CSS is doing. Actually it has the advantage to be independent of drawing systems. If you code it in C++ it is hard to translate that to OpenGL etc.

> And I don't see anyone volunteering for a major overhaul of QtWidget's styling
> system. I don't even think a volunteer would be *accepted* by the Qt Project.

Why do you can not write a QStyle whicj is bridging it?

> So, no, there is no solution. Qt applications in a flatpak or similar will not
> look or feel native, therefore it is not an acceptable solution for an
> application of regular use.

Come on,  it is mostly broken for me already today. If you mix different toolkits it is not working that well. Mix High DPI in it and it gets worse. Linux Desktop is already in a ugly shape,  I don't see how it get worse with it.