[Development] Basing Qt Creator Coding Style on C++ Core Guidelines?

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Tue Nov 22 18:18:13 CET 2016

On terça-feira, 22 de novembro de 2016 11:25:45 PST Marco Bubke wrote:
> I don't see the problem to describe it in text, like CSS is doing. Actually
> it has the advantage to be independent of drawing systems. If you code it
> in C++ it is hard to translate that to OpenGL etc.

For 20 years we have had code do it. Doing it with text files is not tested,
not a tried alternative.

> > And I don't see anyone volunteering for a major overhaul of QtWidget's
> > styling system. I don't even think a volunteer would be *accepted* by the
> > Qt Project.
> Why do you can not write a QStyle whicj is bridging it?

Yeah, I stand corrected. Maybe a style would be accepted by the Qt Project.

But I retain the statement that no one has tried to do a style as complex as
Breeze or a platform integration without plugins. When we created the solution
for platform themes in Qt 5.0, we went straight to the plugin solution. So we
simply don't know how far we can get.

> Come on,  it is mostly broken for me already today. If you mix different
> toolkits it is not working that well. Mix High DPI in it and it gets worse.
> Linux Desktop is already in a ugly shape,  I don't see how it get worse
> with it.

That doesn't mean we should throw up our hands and make things even worse. We
have the GTK3 theme, there's a Qt theme for GTK; Firefox, Chromium and
OpenOffice have Qt/KDE integration too. For example, all of the applications[*]
I use on a daily basis use a KDE file dialog for opening and saving files.

[*] the only exception is my self-built Qt Creator because it uses my self-
built, binary-incompatible Qt 5, but then I almost never use Ctrl+O, I just
rely on Ctrl+K f to open files.