[Development] Qt 5.9

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Wed Nov 23 09:22:09 CET 2016

On quarta-feira, 23 de novembro de 2016 08:10:36 PST Jake Petroules wrote:
> > The currently sold CPU's are not really the measurement stick here. The
> > measurement stick is actually installed Win 32 systems.
> Yes, but what's the 32-bit Windows install base which is capable of running
> Qt? We only support Windows 7 and above now, so I can't imagine it's very
> many. Perhaps we should try to find some metrics to base our decision on.

That's an important point: since Qt 5.7, we no longer support anything older
than Windows 7. That was the first Windows with decent 64-bit support and
computers with Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and now 10 tended to come with the 64-bit
version pre-installed. So the chances of users running 64-bit Windows are much
higher now.

We only have to contend with pre-2007 computers that have been upgraded since.
And netbooks, since many of the first and second generation Atom came with
their 64-bit capabilities fused off. (Ultrabooks are always 64-bit and
actually use Core processors, not Atom)