[Development] Qt 5.9

Massimo Callegari massimocallegari at yahoo.it
Wed Nov 23 11:24:58 CET 2016

Hi,
is there any chance Qt 5.9 can support MSYS2 out of the box ?

For us Linux users, MSYS2 feels like home, and it's the most convenient environment to work with external dependencies simply by using pkg-config.

At the moment, the MSYS2 project is stuck on Qt 5.6.2, I believe mainly cause of QtWebEngine, which AFAIK can't still be built on MSYS2.
I contributed with some updated patches to build Qt 5.7 but still QtWebEngine is excluded from the build.

Supporting MSYS2 would mean 2 things:
1) evaluate the patches that are currently in the GH repo [1] and [2] and check if they're worth to be merged upstream

2) possibly add MSYS2 to the Qt CI system, to deliver a pre-built Qt package in the pkg.tar.xz format suitable for PacMan

Would be nice to finally have QtWebEngine to build on MSYS2 as well.

I can give my assistance in the process, but the content of some patches targeting qtbase is beyond my knowledge of the Qt build files.
Plus, a lot of work has been done on Qt 5.8.0 in that sense, so probably some things have already been addressed or just need to be lightly adjusted.

Regards,
Massimo
[1] https://github.com/Alexpux/MINGW-packages/tree/master/mingw-w64-qt5 (Qt 5.6.2)
[2] https://github.com/Alexpux/MINGW-packages/tree/master/mingw-w64-qt5-git (Qt 5.7.0)