[Development] Qt 5.9

Helmut Mülner helmut.muelner at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 11:45:12 CET 2016

[mailto:development-bounces+helmut.muelner=gmail.com at qt-project.org] Im
Auftrag von Thiago Macieira
> Gesendet: Mittwoch, 23. November 2016 09:22

> On quarta-feira, 23 de novembro de 2016 08:10:36 PST Jake Petroules wrote:
> > > The currently sold CPU's are not really the measurement stick here.
> > > The measurement stick is actually installed Win 32 systems.
> > Yes, but what's the 32-bit Windows install base which is capable of
> > running Qt? We only support Windows 7 and above now, so I can't
> > imagine it's very many. Perhaps we should try to find some metrics to
base our decision on.

> That's an important point: since Qt 5.7, we no longer support anything
older than Windows 7.

> That was the first Windows with decent 64-bit support and computers with
Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and now 10 tended
>  to come with the 64-bit version pre-installed.

>  So the chances of users running 64-bit Windows are much higher now.

> We only have to contend with pre-2007 computers that have been upgraded
since.
> And netbooks, since many of the first and second generation Atom came with
their 64-bit capabilities fused off.

 > (Ultrabooks are always 64-bit and actually use Core processors, not Atom)

That is not relevant here. I am using Windows 10 (64-bit) but I am still
forced (because of 3rt-party-libraries) to develop 32-bit-Qt-applications.
Even if the operating system is 64-bit there can be a lot of 32-bit
application, e.g. VS 2013 and VS 2015 are still 32-bit applications.

Helmut Mülner