[Development] Qt 5.9

Kai Koehne Kai.Koehne at qt.io
Wed Nov 30 09:05:32 CET 2016

> Then let's not drop the 32-bit mingw. But we should add the 64-bit one, and if
> possible to 5.8 too.

The deal is that we don't want to increase the number of packages

in total.

Personally, I don't see the qualms with switching to 64 bit for MinGW

instantly. For MinGW, there are hardly any binary-only libraries that you

can't recompile, and the use case where you ship a 32 bit MinGW plugin

for an executable that is compiled with MSVC sounds a border case

to me. Also, I doubt that MinGW is popular on the embedded devices

that still might be 32 bit only.

Finally, the MinGW community is very active in shipping latest Qt in

their installers, so if you really need 32 bit you could still use binary

packages from the MSYS2 repositories.

Anyhow, the argument also goes the other way round: If we don't like

to drop 32 bit, we can advise people to use MSYS2 packages. I don't

have strong opinions about which one to prefer, but I do think that

not adding more packages is a good restriction.

My two cents

Kai