[Development] Compile errors, Qt configured with -qreal float

Sergio Martins sergio.martins at kdab.com
Wed Oct 26 18:40:52 CEST 2016

On 2016-10-26 16:01, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On quarta-feira, 26 de outubro de 2016 10:18:49 PDT Ola Røer Thorsen
> wrote:
>> I'm getting compile errors building both Qt 5.6.2 and 5.8 beta from
>> source
>> when configuring Qt with -qreal float and building using g++ on Linux.
>> The
>> affected modules are Charts and Location.
>>
>> https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-56715
>>
>> I would think that this should be given a higher priority than P3. I
>> initially reported this for 5.6.2 using a cross compile arm toolchain,
>> but
>> now I see it also affects 5.8 beta on the desktop.
>>
>> If -qreal float is a supported configuration, shouldn't this have been
>> caught in the CI system automatically?
>
> We don't test every module with every configuration. It's just too many
> permutations possible.
>
> Thanks for reporting, those issues are easy to fix. The line in
> question is:
>
>             bottomRight.setLatitude(qMax(bottomRight.latitude(),
>                                                  -85.05113));
>
> To fix this, the literal number needs to be written as:
> qreal(-85.05113).
> There's also a qMin line right above with the same problem.

That's not enough and probably just 10% of the cost of the solution. One
also needs to figure the contribution process and commit. The problem
here is not technical, it's about inertia.

The real issue understanding is "why don't users contribute trivial
changes that they need".

You see it all the time:

- users complaining on a JIRA bug for 2 years instead of submitting a
one-liner
- users reporting wiki typo instead of editing wiki
- users refusing to contribute because "I'm not a Qt developer"
- users feeling entitled to a warranty
- users not understanding that the qt-project has different
responsibilities than TQC

Ofc, this is not about Ola Thorsten, it's about our project and how we
communicate with users.

Regards,
--
Sérgio Martins | sergio.martins at kdab.com | Senior Software Engineer
Tel: Sweden (HQ) +46-563-540090, USA +1-866-777-KDAB(5322)