[Development] Distributing 3rd party closed source libs

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Sun Oct 30 18:11:31 CET 2016

On domingo, 30 de outubro de 2016 09:03:59 PDT Sean Harmer wrote:
> I guess this is similar to the database driver plugins.

Right.

We ship the compiled plugins for both MySQL and PostgreSQL, but not their
libraries, so the plugins can't be loaded unless the user installs the
required client libraries (and in the case of MySQL, since they change the
soname often, it's a difficult proposal).

We do not ship compiled plugins for the proprietary databases, like OCI,
Interbase and TDS. People who want one of those can download the sources and
compile themselves. That's just the plugin, no need to recompile all of Qt.

With my OSS hat on, I would say we shouldn't ship even a non-working binary.
People who want it should download the source for the module and compile
themselves. It is, after all, just a qmake && make.