[Development] Notes on "Managing Qt's branches" session @ QCS 2016

Alexander Blasche alexander.blasche at qt.io
Thu Sep 8 09:36:21 CEST 2016

From: Marc Mutz <marc.mutz at kdab.com>

>On Wednesday 07 September 2016 08:37:01 Friedemann Kleint wrote:
>> ** After 5.7 is closed and sanity bot is upgraded (to handle
>> cherry-picking), go into cherrypicking mode for 5.6. Developer is
>> responsible for doing the cherrypicking
>> ** Cherry-picking technicalities need to be figured out: Let sanity bot
>> verify source ("cherrypicked from") the SHA1

>I'm sorry, but this is nonsense.

I agree with Marc. Why cant we do 5.6->5.8 merges once the 5.7 branch is closed? Since the 5.6 branch will get fewer and fewer patches as the strictness of its commits increases I see no reason why 5.6->5.8 could pose a problem.

Maybe you sb can elaborate why we have to go to cherry-picking? The notes don't say and I wasn't in this QtCon meeting.
--
Alex