[Development] Notes on "Managing Qt's branches" session @ QCS 2016

Liang Qi cavendish.qi at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 12:25:02 CEST 2016

On 8 September 2016 at 09:36, Alexander Blasche <alexander.blasche at qt.io>
wrote:

> From: Marc Mutz <marc.mutz at kdab.com>
>
> >On Wednesday 07 September 2016 08:37:01 Friedemann Kleint wrote:
> >> ** After 5.7 is closed and sanity bot is upgraded (to handle
> >> cherry-picking), go into cherrypicking mode for 5.6. Developer is
> >> responsible for doing the cherrypicking
> >> ** Cherry-picking technicalities need to be figured out: Let sanity bot
> >> verify source ("cherrypicked from") the SHA1
>
> >I'm sorry, but this is nonsense.
>
> I agree with Marc. Why cant we do 5.6->5.8 merges once the 5.7 branch is
> closed? Since the 5.6 branch will get fewer and fewer patches as the
> strictness of its commits increases I see no reason why 5.6->5.8 could pose
> a problem.
>
> Maybe you sb can elaborate why we have to go to cherry-picking? The notes
> don't say and I wasn't in this QtCon meeting.

This is mainly because we did heavy refactoring in upstream branches, for
example, rewriting configure system, then any small fix in 5.6 will trigger
a huge conflicts.

https://codereview.qt-project.org/#/c/163938/

Other cases are sth like directories reorganization, class renaming and
etc, it's very annoying when developers have changes in similar places in
5.6 and upper branches.

Best Regards,
Liang