[Development] Managing branches of Qt's git modules

Sergio Martins sergio.martins at kdab.com
Fri Sep 30 12:55:36 CEST 2016

On 2016-09-30 11:39, Sean Harmer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> just a query as to how people do bulk checkouts of different branches
> when working with the Qt git modules. It would be nice to be able to
> use git submodule foreach ... but this is a problem because not all
> modules use the same branching scheme.
>
> So, what do people do to checkout all interesting modules to 5.7, 5.8,
> dev etc on Unix like systems and on Windows?

I have my own set of scripts which automate that and abstracts the
underlying platform.

$ build_stuff.py x86_64 qtbase,qtdeclarative,gammaray 5.6 --clean --pull

So I can build for mac, linux, windows, android, QNX without having to
remember specifics.

> On *nix systems I've been getting away with a simple bash for loop.
> But on windows I find this painful but maybe that's just my
> unfamiliarity with windows batch scripts.

That's because Windows is painful. Invest some time tweaking it until
you can have the same workflows as you have on linux. You'll be happier.

Regards,
--
SĂ©rgio Martins | sergio.martins at kdab.com | Senior Software Engineer
Tel: Sweden (HQ) +46-563-540090, USA +1-866-777-KDAB(5322)