[Development] redistributing QPA and platform style plugins

Jake Petroules Jake.Petroules at qt.io
Mon Apr 3 17:33:34 CEST 2017

> On Apr 3, 2017, at 3:09 AM, René J.V. Bertin <rjvbertin at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> As you know I've been tinkering with the Cocoa QPA plugin and the Macintosh style.
>
> Are there legal restrictions to making my modified versions available (say on github) other than maintaining the license headers and any licensing files?

In short, no. You know Qt is licensed under GPL & LGPL, right?

Actually, I'm working on making the platform styles into plugins right now, so it'll be very easy to build QMacStyle standalone once https://codereview.qt-project.org/#/c/186909/ is merged. Keep in mind it'll still require a number of private headers, though.

> And last but not least, does doing this have any incidence on "upstreaming", should I ever decide to submit some of those modifications?

Possibly, if others contribute to your modifications, they'll also need to sign the CLA and somehow "co-submit" the changes to the Qt Project alongside you.

On that note, why not upstream the changes immediately and make things better for everyone?