[Development] Focusing bug fixes to 5.9 branch and patch releases during H1/17

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Tue Apr 11 17:36:20 CEST 2017

Em terça-feira, 11 de abril de 2017, às 00:30:51 PDT, Marc Mutz escreveu:
> On Tuesday 11 April 2017 07:49:28 Tuukka Turunen wrote:
> > There has been a lot of discussion about this in the mailing lists, I
> > think
> > the two ones below sum it up quite well.
>
> They sum up *your* POV well. But up to a few weeks ago, more fixes went into
> 5.8 QtBase than changes into 5.9, even though TQC personell was asked to
> ignore 5.8.
>
> You can close 5.8 on all other modules, if you wish, but I'd ask to keep it
> open on QtBase, which has a lively development going on in 5.8 to this day.

While I agree that not releasing 5.8.1 was a big mistake, leaving 5.8 open
serves no purpose. Let's close it and focus on getting 5.9 out ASAP. And not
make the same mistake for the 5.10 timeframe.

Anecdote from IRC last night:
23:10 < engys> Isn't that easy to get a nice qt build done from git this days.
               Released Qt 5.8.0 version had a MySQL utf8 Bug that should be
               fixed with 5.8.1 -> https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-591
               but there is no 5.8.1 because Qt directly go to 5.9
23:13 < engys> Then this qmake dummy.cpp under mkspecs in Qt 5.8 that take
               place in every project. Is this dummy.cpp also in 5.9?
23:22 < engys> So there is no official bugfree 5.8 binary out there because they
               are from 2017-01-20 and the MySQL patchset is from 2017-02-27
23:23 < engys> Qt 5.7 was a much nicer release!