[Development] Focusing bug fixes to 5.9 branch and patch releases during H1/17

Stottlemyer, Brett (B.S.) bstottle at ford.com
Tue Apr 11 20:11:48 CEST 2017

On Tuesday, April 11, 2017 12:27 PM, Simon Hausmann wrote:
> How do you define "stable"?

I appreciate the value of CI, including the value of CI against the entire set of modules, not just the modules in isolation.  At the same time, another important measure of stability is "burn-in", i.e., getting time running something and gaining confidence it won't break.  Under a broad set of use-cases, not just what is covered by CI.

The commits to 5.8, without the addition of new features, give a sense of burned-in stability.  I don't have that confidence in 5.9, particularly when it is in beta status.

On Tuesday, April 11, 2017 12:43 PM, Robin Burchell wrote:
> We have three targets: dev, the stable branch (more or less 5.9, since 5.8.1 is DOA) and the LTS (5.6). Adding an additional
> "level" there as you seem to be proposing with a "more-stable-than-stable" would be something I would consider new.

Well said, thanks.  I guess it boils down to whether you think 5.9 is stable or not.  I guess you can tell how I feel about it ;-)

I still see value in being able to push/pull a fix without having to pull in the new 5.9 features with it.  For the people on this ML.

Regards,
Brett