[Development] distclean question

Massimo Callegari massimocallegari at yahoo.it
Sun Apr 23 14:28:04 CEST 2017

Hi, on Linux it might happen that when configuring Qt to build on a new system, some development packages are missing.
It appears that the 'make confclean' target is no longer there (Qt 5.9.0) so to clean up I tried make distclean.
However, while qmake creates the proper build paths for options like -nomake examples and -nomake tests, the distclean target ignores them, taking an awful amount of time to execute.
Is it possible for qmake to generate a distclean target that actually cleans only the parts that have been specified in configure ? Or is this a generic make-related thing ?
Also, I'd like to ask, what does this mean ?"Prior to reconfiguration, make sure you remove any leftovers from the previous build."
Where are these "leftovers" documented if I intend to reconfigure without distclean ?
With distclean, .config.cache is not removed, so it took me a while to figure out what were the leftovers I was interested to remove. Maybe it's better to reintroduce the confclean target ?
Thanks,Massimo