[Development] Use of std::function in Qt API

Lars Knoll lars.knoll at qt.io
Tue Apr 25 16:34:01 CEST 2017

> On 25 Apr 2017, at 15:51, Thiago Macieira <thiago.macieira at intel.com> wrote:
>
> Em terça-feira, 25 de abril de 2017, às 07:59:03 -03, Marc Mutz escreveu:
>> What's holding us back?
>
> At this point, inertia.
>
> I've already lifted my objection in the grounds that no one in the Linux
> sphere cares about compatibility between libstdc++ and libc++ without a
> "rebuild the world" step.
>
> Using the standard library requires a QUIP with the allowed classes and the
> allowed uses of those classes, as I'm sure we'll find incomplete or non-
> standard implementations of them in the many platforms and compilers we need
> to support.

We concluded that we don’t want to be responsible for the stdlib breaking compatibility or compatibility between libstdc++ and libc++. So in that respect, we should be able to more freely to use more of the standard library, as long as the parts we’re using are supported on all our platforms.

But I agree with Thiago, that we should have this written down in a QUIP, ideally with a list of the classes we consider ok to use in our APIs.

Cheers,
Lars